Image Map

A Love Letter: Part 2

When I went over to New York to help my sister move, she had just started a new job.  While she spent her days in the office I was left with loads of time to explore the city at my own pace.  One of my favourite things to do was grab a soft pretzel and walks for hours through the city's AMAZING museums.  I'd hire the audio guides, which I rarely ever do, and get lost in the art and history surrounding me.  It was absolutely my favourite thing to do in New York!

 METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART

I adored the Egyptian Wing of this museum. There were so many interesting and eerie pieces and their descriptions on the plaques and in the audio guide were really informative.  I felt like I was in Indiana Jones!


The American Wing was also a real treat!  What I loved most about it is that they'd created a section which showcased rooms exactly as they were from various time periods.  From the early 1800s through to the early 20th century.  All the furniture and deco was authentic and walking into these rooms was truly like stepping back in time!



MUSEUM OF MODERN ART


GUGGENHEIM




AMERICAN GIRL PLACE
All photos were taken by me with instagram.  Please don't be mean and use them without my permission. Thanks!

This place wasn't so much a museum as a VERY expensive doll store! But on the upper levels they had a museum of all the historical dolls in the settings of their era.  I was in love!  Molly in 1944, Felicity in 1774 and Samantha, my favourite, in 1904, amongst others!  My sister and cousin each had our own doll when we were younger and we had so so much fun with them!

*****
You can donate to the Red Cross to help American efforts towards Hurricane Sandy here and you can also donate through iTunes.  We should also remember that the US was not the only country hit hard by Sandy - the hurricane caused immense damage, including death, in Cuba and the Carribbean and we shouldn't forget to help these relatively poorer regions by donating through Operation USA.

P.S. - In the spirit of giving, please also visit my Movember page and give whatever you can to raise awareness and help fight the fight for men's health.  Men do so much for Breast Cancer Awareness - let's pay it forward!

Tomorrow, I'll be sharing pics of my favourite foodie experiences while I was out there...

Please feel free to share your memories and loves of NYC in the comments below.
Have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for dropping by! Your comments always put a smile on my face!