Mix some honey into your autumn.
I've had loads of National Honey Board emails come my way since I last posted about honey and I'd like to share with you some of my favourite recipes from those emails. Watering mouths at the ready...
All credit for pictures and words go to the National Honey Board.
HARVEST PUMPKIN MUFFINS
(makes 12 muffins)
Start your day off right with these delicious muffins sweetened with honey. Honey acts as a humectant and retains moisture in baked goods, which results in an incredibly soft, moist muffin. And because of its antimicrobial properties, honey gives baked goods a slightly longer shelf life. Who knew one ingredient had so much functionality?
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup solid pack pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
HONEY ICED TEA
(makes 10 servings)
There’s nothing more refreshing than a glass of iced tea, especially when it’s sweetened with honey! Because honey is 17% water, it dissolves quickly and easily in most beverages. Plus, since honey is slightly sweeter than granulated sugar, you can use less honey to achieve the same level of sweetness.
- 1 quart boiling water
- 12 tea bags
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 quart cold water
- Mint sprigs, if desired
HONEY MACAROON DESSERT PIZZA
(makes 6 servings)
This is a terrific dessert to make with your kids – easy (and fun!) to make, loaded with fresh fruit and kissed with honey’s sweetness. To see a video demonstration of this recipe, visit our YouTube Channel here!
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tube (10 oz.) refrigerated pizza dough
- 1/2 Tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Fresh fruit, such as berries, for garnish
- Mint sprigs, for garnish
SMOKED HONEY ICE CREAM
(makes 1 1/2 - 2 cups)
If you want to make a fancy, melt-in-your-mouth (literally) dessert for your friends, this is the recipe for you. The smoked honey gives this sweetener an even deeper flavor profile while also giving the ice cream a smoother mouthfeel. Ice creams using honey generally have a lower freezing temperature, which results in an ice cream free of grainy ice crystals.
- 5 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1/3 cup smoked honey, or to taste*
HONEY BERRY WAFFLE SANDWICH
(makes 4 servings)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh berries, divided *
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 8 frozen waffles, toasted